Tracking Code: 218557-927
Mercy Corps is an international aid and development organization working to alleviate suffering, poverty and oppression by helping people build secure, productive and just communities. Mercy Corps works in crisis-affected and post-crisis areas to meet the immediate needs of affected populations and deliver lasting, sustainable development assistance. Mercy Corps confronts its toughest challenges through social innovation, consistently partnering with creative thinkers from the private and public sectors to take responsible risks and champion successful ideas to confront our toughest challenges.
The proposed secondment will support the Girl Hub to empower adolescent girls drawing on the expertise of both Mercy Corps and the Nike Foundation.
The Advisor will work alongside the Girl Hub Nigeria and Mercy Corps bringing adolescent girl expertise, providing technical support to design, implement and monitor ‘Safe Spaces’ programmes in Northern Nigeria and supporting the implementation of the ENGINE program. The Advisor will be breaking new ground by being part and parcel of strategic partnership between Mercy Corps and the Girl Hub Nigeria.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Bring adolescent girl expertise and support/drive the work to target and reach the bottom 40% of girls across strategies and plans; ensure our work starts and ends with the ‘last girl’.
- Provide technical support to the design, implementation, monitoring and review of Girl Hub-supported ‘safe spaces’ programme in northern Nigeria.
- Mentor and develop the technical capacity of a local girl expert
- Support Girl Hub and Mercy Corps with the development of concept notes for program development adolescent girl programming
- Identify, design and deliver technical support to economic empowerment of adolescent girls programmes
- Provide adolescent girl subject matter expertise throughout our work to influence systems and leaders to deliver for girls (Government of Nigeria, the World Bank, UN, private sector, and other key partners)
- Support/drive country strategy to cultivate adolescent girl program design innovations in the local market; effectively integrate accurate, compelling and scalable knowledge into Girl Hub/Nike Foundation operations.
- Network within DFID and other appropriate organisations to build credibility and value for Girl Hub’s girl expertise technical value addition.
- Work alongside all Nike Foundation/Girl Hub creative development team manager(s) and monitoring and learning managers to ensure that learning insights and evidence are built into the delivery of initiatives and substantive girl programming is brought to every process.
- Work closely with the g.school and girl direct teams to ensure delivery and technical content reflect field insights and knowledge uptake.
- Play an active role with Girl Hub country and global teams in building institutional knowledge to create compelling multidisciplinary evidence of taking the girl effect to scale in country.
- Support the ENGINE team with project implementation and monitoring. Take the lead in coordinating the ENGINE mid-term qualitative evaluation on behalf of Girl Hub.
Organizational Learning: As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve – we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
ACCOUNTABILITY TO BENEFICIARIES Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts towards accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY: None at this time
REPORTS DIRECTLY TO:
Direct line of report to the Girl Hub Country Director particularly on programmatic and technical support matters. On administrative issues reports to the Mercy Corps Country Director
WORKS DIRECTLY WITH:
- Girl Hub Nigeria team; DFID northern Nigeria team; Girl Hub London and Nike Foundation teams (Pillar leads, Design & Innovation, Insights, and Brand team, Monitoring and Learning team, Global Initiatives team, Girl Direct and g.school team).
- Mercy Corps Country team: Country Director
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in related relevant field; a Master’s degree is preferred.
- At least five years of relevant professional work experience in adolescent girls’ programming.
- Extensive experience of girl-centred programme design and implementation.
- Deep understanding of international best practice on working with adolescent girls.
- Experience of training and building capacity on girl centred programming.
- Excellent understanding of the challenges facing girls in northern Nigeria.
- Experience in project management and coordination; including implementation and monitoring, donor reporting, partner relationships, communication and networking.
- Great team player
- Extensive experience of working in gender related programming in particular with girls.
- Excellent report writing, presentation and communication skills.
- Excellent inter-personal skills and experience of working in a multi-cultural team.
- High attention to detail and ability to work under pressure and tight deadlines.
- Excellent oral, written, presentation and communications skills in English are required.
- Commitment to integrity as espoused by Government of Nigeria and DFID values and ethical standards.
- Commitment to diversity and non-discrimination on grounds of culture, disability, gender, religion, race, age and nationality.
- Ability to work under pressure with a sense of humor
- Comfortable with ambiguity and changing plans
- Commitment to working with and for adolescent girls
- Comfortable with working in and traveling to insecure areas
Job Location: Abuja, Federal Capital Territory, Nigeria
Position Type: Full-Time/Regular
To apply click here