Head, Biometrics and Statistics Unit (Ref: DDG-R4D/HBSU/10/11)
Background: The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) invites applications for the position of Head, Biometrics and Statistics Unit.
IITA is an international non-profit research-for-development (R4D) organization created in 1967, governed by a Board of Trustees, and supported primarily by the Consultative Group of International Agricultural Research (CGIAR). Our R4D is anchored on the development needs of sub-Saharan Africa. We develop agricultural solutions with our partners to tackle hunger and poverty by reducing producer and consumer risks, enhancing crop quality and productivity, and generating wealth from agriculture. We have more than 100 internationally recruited scientists from about 35 countries and 900 nationally recruited staff based in various stations across Africa. Please visit http://www.iita.org/ for more information on IITA.
IITA is looking for a suitably qualified person to fill the position of Head, Biometrics and Statistics Unit. The Biometrics and Statistics Unit has a research and service role for IITA across all our locations and programs. The appropriate design, database development, and analysis of experiments are a key function for the science of IITA and this unit is critical to the quality of this science. IITA works in a wide diversity of research areas with a diversity of quantitative, qualitative, and spatial statistics. The Head of this unit will need to give leadership in this area and to manage the activities of its staff across IITA.
The primary responsibilities for the Head, Biometrics and Statistics Unit will include:
· Provision of advice to scientists, partners and students on statistics within their specific research program.
· Contribute to the increased use of bio informatics at IITA.
· Contribute to the development and use of databases for trial data, baseline surveys, evaluation of genetic resources, and other repositories for IITA research data.
· Enhance the quality of the IITA research with more appropriate experimental design, survey tool, and use of statistics.
· Publish on new approaches to statistics and methods of the IITA research areas.
· Conduct training programs in statistics for IITA scientists, partners, and students as needed.
· Contribute to resource mobilization by participating in the development of research proposals.
· Training of MSc and PhD students through supervision of thesis research in collaboration with universities.
· Leading a team of support staff.
The candidate should have a PhD degree in biometrics or statistics.
· At least 8 years experience in applying statistics to research programs in genetics, agronomy, natural resource management, and/or social sciences.
· At least 5 years experience in the management of a biometrics or statistics program with a range of staff experiences, a range of research and service functions, and budget management.
· Experience with statistical packages such as GENSTAT, SAS, SPSS, and open sources program such as R, PowerMaker, DARwin and Tassel.
· Experience with bio informatics and database development.
· Good scientific publication record.
· Ability to work as a member of a multi-disciplinary team in a cross-cultural environment.
· Excellent leadership, interpersonal, and team building skills.
· Excellent communication in English and French is an advantage.
Duty station: IITA Ibadan, Nigeria
General information: Initial appointment is for three years. IITA offers a competitive remuneration package paid in US dollars.
Applications: Applications including curriculum vitae, names and addresses of three referees should be addressed to the Human Resources Manager. Please complete our online application form using this link: http://www.iita.org/irs-online-application
Closing Date: The position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
IITA is an equal opportunity employer and particularly welcomes applications from women candidates.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.